Director of Internal Audit:
Marlin Business Services Corp.® is a publicly traded bank holding company (NASDAQ: MRLN) that provides nationwide commercial financing and depository products and is the parent company of Marlin Leasing Corporation. Marlin specializes in providing innovative financial solutions for small and mid-size businesses.
Since 1997, Marlin has extended over $5 billion in financing by providing tailored financing programs and competitive lease structures. Marlin's value proposition is centered around providing excellent service and delivering on commitments made to equipment dealers, manufacturers, resellers, distributors and their customers.
Marlin is a direct lender providing financing to businesses so they can acquire new equipment and technology while preserving capital.
The Director of Internal Audit is responsible for providing strong leadership and vision, as well as management, planning and execution of all business operations/financial audit activities for Marlin Business Services Corp.
Responsible in creating and maintaining a leading practice audit function reporting to Marlin Business Services’ Audit Committee and administratively to Marlin Business Bank’s President. The Director plans and administers the operations/financial portions of the Audit Plan as approved by the Board of Directors (the “Board”), determining effectiveness of prudent business practices/accuracy of financial statements and reports, and compliance with applicable policies, procedures, laws and regulations. The Director will also perform additional initiatives at the direction of the Executive Management, including attending Board meetings, Audit Committee meetings etc.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversight of the development and execution of the Enterprise Audit Plan for business operations/financial activities based on an assessment of company goals and objectives and the significant risks that threaten the achievement of those objectives
- Create and maintain an appropriately structured audit universe, ensuring 100% of the organization is captured and organized in a way to maximize efficiency of audit coverage
- Build annual audit plan based on evaluation of objectives and risk exposure for areas under examination and assesses risk in conjunction with organizational risk appetite and tolerance levels
- Lead the operations/business financial risk assessment process incorporating input from business leadership, develop corporate-wide audit plan, and execute and manage the on-time delivery of quality audit results
- Maintain alignment between the Company's goals and strategies and the activities of the Internal Audit Department
- Provide fair and balanced insights into current, emerging and potential issues, trends, and opportunities that will enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of management and control processes
- Inform the Executive Management/Bank President of audit progress, major findings, and problems encountered
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders, Senior Management, and other key leaders. Support the Leadership in managing relationships with the Board. Serve as a trusted advisor to management.
- Regularly meet with key business leaders in assigned operational business units to stay informed of organizational changes; regulatory impacts; key, changing and/or emerging risks; etc.
- Engage in management requested and/or consulting projects and provide advisory services to management on process redesign, major system initiatives, control framework, etc.
- Present periodic reports to management and/or the Board on results of audit activities and significant issues related to internal control processes to ensure these processes are appropriate for the current and evolving business environment and to provide information concerning such issues through resolution
- Provide counsel on new business developments, new system implementations and other strategic initiatives to ensure internal controls are considered and designed into the process
- Project ahead to help management envision future risks and opportunities
- Ability to play a strategic role in the enterprise risk management processes and provide a practical approach to evaluating and improving organizational risk management, controls and governance processes.
- Provide support for driving the successful leadership of the Internal Audit function. Significant input into vision, direction and success measures for the organization. Consistently evaluate audit techniques, approaches and reporting to ensure Marlin is current with industry 'best practices'
- Perform and/or supervise special departmental projects as requested, including research on audit techniques
- Oversight of audit projects to ensure that professional standards are maintained in the planning, execution, and reporting of audit projects
- Perform research and attend training to maintain and enhance knowledge necessary to effectively support Audit and the business
- Clearly articulate the role and value of the Internal Audit function, underscoring independence and objectivity
- Participate in special projects, investigations, due diligence, reorganizations, new products and system implementations
- Assist in the monitoring of Internal Audit operations and resources, ensuring that the overall vision and objectives of the function are being achieved
- Participate in the development and preparation of short-term and long-range plans and budgets based upon broad organizational goals and objectives
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources
- Ability to naturally influence operating executives and to function as a business partner
- Ability to manage multiple, changing, and competing priorities in a fast-paced, interactive, results-based team environment
- Must be able to communicate effectively (orally and written) with professionalism and possess strong presentation skills among all levels of management. Can balance diplomacy with assertiveness and hold difficult or sensitive discussions with confidence, while gaining and/or maintaining the trust of others. Articulate and composed when delivering difficult messages to clients
- Extensive knowledge in the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and can apply major control frameworks and assess the department’s ability to conform to said Standards
- Extensive knowledge of financial and business information systems
- Demonstrates an in-depth and current knowledge of relevant industry, accounting, operational and/or technology
- Knowledgeable in business resumption, project management, security, computer operations, business risk assessments and financial/compliance/business processes
- Proven ability to lead projects and initiatives that drive performance
- Capability to think both strategically and tactically about the Internal Audit function, its mission, and resources
- Proven ability to critically assess, drive action, and deliver meaningful results in a high-paced environment
- High level of technical and analytical capabilities, skilled at decision-making under uncertainty, combined with a common sense approach
- Strong work ethic, initiative, teamwork and flexibility to assist department in meeting organizational goals
- Adhere to the highest degree of professional standards and strict confidentiality
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other relevant major
- MBA Preferred
- CPA, CIA, and/or CRCM
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, COSO, IIA Auditing Standards, U.S. Bank regulation and guidance, risk and controls standards and business process best practices
- 5+ years’ experience in the financial services sector, including tenure with a Financial Bank and/or Equipment Leasing Organization
- 4+ years in public accounting or directly related equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in Audit management roles
- Previous management roles in non-Audit functions (preferred)
- Has served as tenured Audit Director responsible for managing a complex internal audit organization, preferably in a public company
- History of effectively interacting with, and influencing, Executive and Senior Management, external auditors, and Audit Committee members
- Demonstrated ability to provide exemplary leadership within an Audit organization
- CPA or international equivalent preferred (required for Financial Audits position)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) certification preferred
Successful candidate will receive a competitive salary along with an excellent benefit package to include: Health, Rx, Vision, Dental, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Equity, ESPP, 401(k) with match, flexible spending, on-site fitness center and much more…
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled